Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Florida Employment Attorney Priority Email to Attorney
Broward County: 954-617-6017
Miami-Dade County: 305-405-WAGE (9243)
Toll-Free: 800-796-0849

What Happens If Your Employer Stops Paying You?

In many businesses, payroll is completed through an automated and generally reliable system. Employees can enter their hours online and the information is transferred to a program that automatically calculates the amount of their paycheck based on their rate of pay and hours or overtime worked. The correct pay may then be direct deposited into the employee’s account at regular intervals. However, payroll systems can be expensive and many smaller or newer companies may try to save money by paying employees without any such system in place. This generally involves submitting hours in writing or even verbally and having your employer hand you a check or even cash for your work. Many problems can arise in this situation including unpaid wages.

If certain businesses are experiencing difficult financial times, they may not have the capital to pay employees for the time they worked. Profits may vary from month to month and paychecks may come at irregular intervals, for partial hours worked, or even not at all. In many situations, business owners may try to talk to employees to put off issuing paychecks or may even issue paychecks that then bounce. Bounced paychecks can cause serious issues for many households, especially if the household has a tight budget that depends on the pay to cover bills and expenses. In other situations, an employer may promise to pay in the future but may actually stop issuing paychecks altogether. If you have experienced any of these situations, you should discuss your situation with a qualified wage law attorney who can advise you of your rights.

Recourse In Florida

Unlike many other states, Florida has no specific law that indicates when private employers must pay workers. However, this does not mean that you do not have legal rights if your employer fails to adequately issue you a valid paycheck. In such a situation, it is highly important to keep detailed records of the following:

  • The hours you worked during the time period;
  • Any statements made by your employer regarding payment or lack thereof;
  • Any checks that bounced and associated fees (bank records are important in this situation); and
  • Other fees you incurred for late bills due to non-payment by your employer.

Your first step may be to discuss the situation with your employer. If they fail to remedy the situation, you should demand in writing the amount that you believe you are due, including specifics such as days and hours worked for which you were unpaid. If you employer still fails to settle the matter with you, you have the right to file a legal claim against them in court for your unpaid wages and other losses. Your employer may also face penalties for failing to pay the minimum wage as required by state law.

Discuss Your Situation With An Experienced Wage and Hour Lawyer

Filing a legal claim against your Florida employer can be complicated with several requirements. You should not hesitate to call the law office of wage and hour attorney Robert S. Norell, P.A. We can help you recover unpaid wages, so please contact us at 800-796-0849 today.

Florida Overtime Attorney
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
Broward County: 954-617-6017
Miami-Dade County: 305-405-WAGE
Toll-Free: 800-796-0849

300 N.W. 70th Avenue, Suite 305
Plantation, Florida 33317

Robert S. Norell, P.A. is located in Plantation, FL and serves clients in and around Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Dania, Pembroke Pines, Opa Locka, North Miami Beach, Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach, Hialeah, Miami, Boca Raton, Miami Beach, Broward County, Miami-Dade County and Palm Beach County.

MileMark Media - Practice Growth Solutions

© 2015 - 2020 Robert S. Norell, P.A. All rights reserved.
This law firm website is managed by MileMark Media.

Contact Form Tab Close Menu