The FMLA covers employees that:
- Are Employed by a company of 50 or more employees
- Have been employed for at least 12 months
- Have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 month period immediately preceding the absence
Under the FMLA, covered employees are:
Eligible to take up to 12 weeks of medical leave in a one-year period.
The reasons for medical leave can include:
- The birth or adoption of a child.
- Caring for a spouse, parent, or minor child who cannot care for him or herself.
- A serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
The leave of absence can be unpaid. The FMLA has different methods of calculating the one-year period and requires the employer to have an FMLA policy.
If you feel your FMLA rights have been violated, please call us at 954-617-6017 or use the contact form at right to contact Rob Norell for a free consultation regarding your rights.